Wednesday 8 December 2010

I finally get it.

I'll be the first to admit that for years I couldn't  understand why people weren't fitting in healthy activities into their daily life. I thought "it's not that hard...go walk after dinner, get up and jog before breakfast, join a gym and attend a class."  But it's not that easy, that is not all it is. And it's not first nature for some, especially if you didn't grow up with good role models or with parents (a shout out to my mom and dad - thanks and I love you!!) who made you try every sport and dance out there and created an environment full of love, respect and support.  Because of this environment, my sisters and I grew up thinking we were the young Hispanic girl versions of Jim Thorpe.  We can do, accomplish anything.  I still think it. I've trained for marathons, triathlons, distance cycling events, synchronized swimming paid my way through college and I'm even a certified Balletone instructor(What's Balletone?)  But my reality is probably not the norm among the multitude of at-risk families, especially Hispanics, in the US, but I hope that it can be.  As society learns that the health of the individual reflects the health of their entire environment, improvements will be made and families and individuals will prosper in many ways.

Over the course of my postings, I'll address the many cultural, societal and personal barriers that make it difficult for people to change their bad health habits, especially young Hispanics, but the information is pertinent to all.  I'll share conversations I've had with those struggling with their daily survival - health is not on the top of their priority list and yet they struggle more because they are obese and so I'll address the Food Paradox, too.  With obesity rates soaring and the risk of developing diabetes type 2 at an all time high (1 in 3 born in 2000) and for young hispanic girls (1 in 2 born in 2000), the only thing that can help is education around the issues, confronting reality and taking responsibility. 

There is a lot of misinformation out there about health cures, cause of disease (no, diabetes is not caused by only eating sweets - you can go ahead and tell your abuelitas that), weight loss and more.  The media plays a very large role in disseminating a lot of this misinformation, but so does your social and cultural environment, and I think you deserve to hear the truth, good and bad.  So, most everything, if not all of the information I present to you will be factually based and empirically validated. The truth may be difficult to hear. Afterall, there just might be restrictions on the American lifestyle of buy, buy, buy, eat, eat, eat, tv, tv, tv.   I know, it will be tough.

I hope you learn and can act on something in everyone one of my posts. If you don't, let me know and I'll try even harder next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment